A walking cane is considered to be an important assistive device that can help you to walk safely. This is generally helpful for those individuals who are dealing with specific concerns like weakness, injury, or pain.
You may also consider using a walking cane especially when you are recovering from a stroke or surgery.
Canes help to make your walking more comfortable, safer, and easier. Not only that, but you can perform your day-to-day activities efficiently by opting for this. As a result, a cane can help you live a comfortable and independent life as you can stay mobile and active.
Also, a walking cane is great for people who are suffering from any kinds of walking abnormalities, concerns related to weakness, pain, or balance in specific areas of the body such as feet, knees, or hips, or a risk of falling.
Tips to keep in mind for safely using these walking cane
- If you are a beginner, you need to hold your walking cane in the hand which is opposite of the side that requires support. You should also place the cane to the side portion i.e. about 2 inches forward.
- At the same time, you need to move the cane forward as you step forward with your affected leg. Also, whenever, you are walking forward specifically with your unaffected leg, you need to hold the cane steady in the proper position.
- In this case, you can ask someone to supervise you and help you to stabilize or support you. This is applicable, whenever you are first getting comfortable walking with the cane. But, you should be confident enough before you starting walking on your own.
But, if you are not finding it to be comfortable, then you should never hesitate to ask someone to guide you.
- Another challenge arises when you try to walk on the stairs. In this case, you should be extra careful. First of all, you should consider holding the railing for support.
- If only one of your legs is affected, then you should focus on stepping up with your leg which is unaffected. After that, you need to step up at the same time with your affected leg as well as your cane.
- For walking down the stairs, you need to put the best walking cane first on the lower step. Finally, you need to focus on stepping your affected leg on the step which is subsequently followed by the unaffected one.
So, the above-discussed ones are considered to be some of the most important tips which you should focus on following for walking safely with a cane. At the initial stage, you may find it to be a challenging task to walk with a cane.
But, if you learn this properly, you will be able to use this equipment in the best possible way. Just, you need to opt for a cane that properly fits you. In this case, you should seek expert supervision if required.